News Flash: Welcome to 5th grade

20080718_00-54-48

JulianBleecker via Compfight

Hi!

I signed you up to receive this newsletter as a parent/guardian in our class this year. This newsletter will allow me to go into more depth about what is happening in our classroom this year. Also, I’ll be able to link to interesting stuff, including embedded videos, etc. I’m expecting to post 1 – 2 (at the most) posts per week.

If you’d like to not receive these emails, simply “unsubscribe” by following the directions in the email you received.

So, let’s get to it!

Routines. In 5-P, we have spent some time getting used to our computers and the routines of the school. We’ve set up Google Drive, worked some with simple Google Docs. We’ve explored our classroom library and the media center at school. I can see that the kids are beginning to feel more comfortable.

On Fridays, you will find a copy of the fifth-grade newsletter in your child’s Friday folder as well as some other notes. Every Friday your child will bring home a “Take home” folder. It will have any announcements that we are to pass on to parents. Also, you will probably receive an email for the whole 5th-grade. That will contain an electronic version of the newsletter and a few sentences about what is happening in our room. Mostly, though, it is your news source for you see what pertains to ALL 5th-graders.

Science News. We are studying the creek as a model ecosystem. We’ve been going out to the creek to set up “nature journals” where we look closely at the creek as scientists would. When we return, we’ll be going even more “in depth” into the critters that live in and near the creek. I’ll post some photos from our trips down there next week.

Homework. While there hasn’t been much homework yet, more will be coming as the days go by. You can check the planners (sometimes the kids forget, though, to put stuff in there!) and also the Assignments link at the top of this page, or the top of the 5th-grade website. There are also some frequently asked question answers on the 5th-grade website, too.

Reading Homework. Please have your child try to average about 30 minutes of reading at home per day over five days. I am not sending home a reading log; I’ve found that parents really don’t like them and they rarely help kids learn the reading habit anyway. Instead, I’ll work on my end to try to get books in the kids’ hands that are ones they are interested in reading. We’ll talk a lot about books, and I’ll help them find books and to discover themselves as readers.

Later, I’ll post more on our learning goals for reading and writing this quarter. I’ve issued a challenge to the kids to read at least 25 books over the course of the year. You’ll see 5-days of reading homework per week on the assignment sheet.

Calendar. Remember, there is a digital calendar at the top of this page, too. You can synch that to your digital calendar, if you have one. That same calendar is at the top of the 5th-grade website, too.

Survey. In a day or two, I will post again with a link to an online survey that is designed to help me know your child better.

Thanks for your support! I am looking forward to a great year.

Published by

Steve Peterson

I teach fifth grade in Iowa.