Mr. Peterson

Reading while BBQing

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
I’ve been teaching elementary school for around fifteen years, give or take a few. I taught kids with learning disabilities in Decorah, IA for two years. Since then I taught second, third, and fourth grade. This will be my fourth year in fifth grade.

In the past, I taught US politics and government and US history at both the college and community college levels, and pre-professional writing for engineers and social science majors at the University of Minnesota. I also worked with Native American kids at risk of high school dropout through the Bayfield (WI) schools, and as a crisis interventionist for kids with emotional and behavioral disabilities in Dubuque, IA.

I have two masters degrees; one in American studies (U of MN, 1987), and one in Literacy Education (UNI, 2007).  I also have two bachelors degrees; one in Education and Special Education (Clarke College, 2000), and another in Biology (Gustavus Adolphus College, 1982). I studied US history at the Ph.D. level at the University of MN, but didn’t finish the degree program as I fell in love with teaching, instead.

I was extremely fortunate to have been awarded the Eleanor Johnson Reading/Language Arts Award by the International Reading Association (2009) and the Iowa Technology Teacher of the Year by the Iowa Technology and Education Consortium (2008). I also presented some preliminary research at the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) in 2014.

PERSONAL
When I’m not teaching, I love to read both fiction and non-fiction and roam around the woods with my wife, Beth Lynch, and our dogs, Kiskadinna (Kiska) and Kelso.

Kiska is the red dog. Kelso is the spotty dog.

Dogs relaxing!
Dogs relaxing!

Alert dogs!
Alert dogs!

And, just for fun, here’s a short video of Kelso trying to get Kiska to play with him soon after we got him. He’s such a little brother brat! 🙂